During times of peace people create pollution which unintentionally kills other people.
During times of war people purposely kill other people.
Petro-dictators can use their nation's military, and their petro-wealth, to start wars:
See Ukraine, 2022; Vladimir Putin's
"war machine has been funded, fed, and fuelled by the coal, oil and gas industries."
In addition see: Saudi Prince Mohammed bin Salman's military intervention in Yemen (2015),
and Saddam Hussein's military invasion (1980) to start the Iran-Iraq war, among many others.
This dynamic also works in reverse.
"The depletion of resources and violent disputes reinforce one another, forming a vicious cycle."
"The environment has long been a silent casualty of...armed conflict,"
said United Nations General Secretary Ban Ki-Moon.
Michael Klare wrote about the U.S. military's perspective in his book, All Hell Breaking Loose.
Top leaders within the Department of Defense are concerned about:
- U.S. military installations being damaged by fires and floods
- increasingly more Humanitarian Assistance / Disaster Relief missions
- simultaneous multiple disasters
- "threat multiplier" problems: food, water, shelter, commerce, transportation, etc.
- global instability leading to civil wars or foreign invasions
While the US military makes plans to keep foreign oil accessible, climate refugees at bay,
and its installations secure, they discharge mega-giant amounts of pollution:
- "The DOD is the world’s largest institutional user of petroleum."
- The US Dept of Defense (DOD) emits "333,000,000 tons [of pollutants] per year".
- "The Pentagon does not acknowledge that its own fuel use is a major" problem.
"In Minden, Louisana, the military were found to be burning...munition waste...
with no environmental emission control measures...
Residents complained, so the military
moved the burning of these toxic substances to Colfax, Louisana."
The Penatgon has "locked itself into hydrocarbon-based weapons systems for years to come."
Who is supposed to protect God's Green Earth from all that poison pollution?
Join the boycott.